Minimum 3 half day sessions per month (Approx 7.5 hrs/month)
Safeside, 101 Vauxhall Road, Nechells, Birmingham B74HW.
The purpose of Safeside is to inspire people to think and act safely. Visitor Guides are a critical part of the Safeside Team and essential to the delivery of the key safety messages to all Safeside visitors
Based at the Safeside facility you will act as a volunteer visitor guide (Guide) for groups visiting Safeside, taking them through various interactive scenarios. Each visitor group will take part in up to 12 interactive safety scenarios, each of which has its own set of key safety messages. Each visit should take approximately 2.5 hrs per group. As the Guide, it is your job to ensure that the group (of up to 8 people) for whom you are responsible leaves having gained a high quality, educational experience where key safety messages are understood and have been taken in by all visitors.
Duties and tasks:
This list shows the types of duties that may be required
- Meet and greet visitors to Safeside in a confident, professional manner
- Take part in the visitor briefing before the visitors are divided into smaller groups
- Inform, guide, support your group(s) through the Safeside scenarios and the related activities
- Reinforce the safety messages being delivered in each scenario ensuring that they have been understood and taken in by the visitors
- Answer any questions or deal with queries that visitors may have
- Be responsible for the Welfare and Health and Safety of the your group while they are at Safeside
- Assist in gathering visitor feedback and evaluation
- Participating in other Safeside activities as and when required
- Promoting Safeside to potential visitors and volunteers
- Participating in relevant training opportunities as and when required
Safeside Volunteering Manager
Safeside uniform will be supplied which should be worn when volunteering at Safeside. Smart and practical footwear will be required
All volunteers will receive necessary training before being able to guide visitors. As a Guide, you will be required to undertake training before you start work. You will only be allowed to lead a group through a visit on your own when you have shown that you are confident and able to do so. This will depend on your ability and pace of learning and may require you, on occasion, to take work home as part of your development. Any necessary on-going support and training will be given by the Safeside Staff Team
Personal Qualities Required:
- Good communicator
- Possess or would like to develop customer care skills
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Enjoy working with the general public, especially children.
- Be adaptable to working with a range of abilities
All volunteer appointments will be made at the discretion of the Volunteering Manager and are subject to a probationary period and an enhanced Data and Barring Service (formerly CRB) check. The volunteer will incur no expense for the DBS check.
Please note that we operate a strict NO SMOKING policy on all areas of the Safeside and WMFS HQ site.